For Immediate Release - March 16, 2020
The City of Nacogdoches is working diligently with community officials to ensure the public has relevant information.
The City will continue to follow recommendations from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention and the Texas Department of State Health Services, and will also monitor decisions made by partners at the Nacogdoches County, Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches and County Independent School Districts, and other agencies.
As of today, March 16, there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Nacogdoches County.
Please refer to https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/coronavirus/ for up to date information. The decision to close the City's public facilities is consistent with the practices and recommendations of healthcare professionals and community partner organizations.
The City as a whole will remain open to staff in order to operate all public services and continue to serve the citizens of Nacogdoches. However, as a result of closures to the public, the activities scheduled at these facilities have either been modified, canceled, or postponed.
• The Tuesday, March 17, 2020, city council meeting will be held as an open meeting at 5:30 pm at 202 Pilar Street. Additionally, the previously scheduled 4 pm special meeting of city council has been cancelled.
• Previously scheduled city manager candidate interviews will be postponed until further notice and will be rescheduled to give candidates optimal time to tour and meet the community.
• The City of Nacogdoches Municipal Court is rescheduling all March court proceedings, and the court will be temporarily closed until further notice. Persons will be notified by mail of their new court date. Citizens seeking to resolve their citation(s) can do so in the following ways: (1) Online at trafficpayment.com, (2) by phone at 800-444-1187, or (3) by mailing a money order to P.O. Box 635030, Nacogdoches, Texas 75963. Any questions can be answered by calling the court at (936) 559-2641 or via email at email@example.com.
• The Water Billing Department is not accepting walk-in payments, however the drive-through kiosk at City Hall and online platforms are available. https://www.ci.nacogdoches.tx.us/614/Pay-Utility-Bills?NID=614
• The A. L. Mangham Jr. Regional Airport will remain open to facilitate local aviation, and there are currently no restrictions on commercial flights. For more information, please call airport staff at 936-560-9567.
• The Nacogdoches Economic Development Corporation (NEDCO) is monitoring the small business administration resource programs for information and possible aid for businesses affected by the coronavirus and will release information as soon as it is available. NEDCO staff remain available to answer any questions at 936-559-1255.
• The Judy McDonald Public Library is closed to the public, however staff will accept returned books through the outside drop box. All public programs have been cancelled or postponed.
• Public facilities such parks, pavilions, playgrounds, and cemeteries are remaining open at this time, but please follow all recommended safety protocols when utilizing public spaces.
• The recreation department's Corporate Challenge which offers leisure competition among local businesses, is postponed until May. New dates and plans will be communicated when available.
The City of Nacogdoches staff will continue to work and provide information in order to implement timely action plans as this situation evolves.
General questions can be answered at 936-559-2506 or 936-559-2507.
CITY OF NACOGDOCHES | 202 E. Pilar St. Nacogdoches, TX 75961 Hours: Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. http://www.ci.nacogdoches.tx.us/