NISD middle schools surveying parents, teachers
Interest in standardized dress for 2013-14
December 19, 2012 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
District Contact: Rayanne Schmid, communications coordinator
936-569-5000, ext. 8845 (office) or 936-585-1518 (Cell)
NACOGDOCHES — Nacogdoches middle school leaders are asking parents and teachers whether they would support standardized dress for next years’ sixth through eighth graders.
The survey, which poses five questions, went on the NISD district, elementary and middle school Web sites on Wednesday, Dec. 19 and will be available through Jan. 11. Also, after the holiday break, parents who pickup their children in the car rider line may choose to fill out a paper survey.
Survey questions include:
1. Please indicate your role: Parent, Teacher or Both
2. What grade will your middle school child be in during the 2013-2014 school year? 6, 7 or 8
3. Do you currently have an elementary student wearing standardized dress? Yes or No
4. Would you be interested in meeting to hear discussion about standardized dress? Yes or No
5. Would you support standardized dress at the middle schools? Yes or No
Parents and the community at large can voice their opinions during one of two meetings: 6 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 8 at McMichael Middle School or 6 p.m., Jan. 9 at Mike Moses Middle School.
Data from the fact-finding events will be compiled and presented to the NISD School Board during its Jan. 20 meeting.
August 2012 launched standardized dress for pre-kindergarteners through fifth graders.
Highlights of the elementary schools’ dress code include:
• Must be a short or long sleeved polo style knit with collar
• Any solid color polo style allowed
• No logo on shirt
• Shirts do not have to be tucked in
• Must be solid color khaki, navy or black (twill like material)
• “sagging” is not allowed
• All shoes must be closed toe and closed heel
• Any color tennis shoes (laced or velcro) are allowed
• No heelies or crocs style shoes allowed.