TEXAS has a rich and storied history with deep roots in Nacogdoches.
Nacogdoches — the oldest town in Texas — is named for the Caddo family of Indians who once occupied the area. It has a historical background, dating back to the establishment of Spanish missions in 1721-22.
The “town” of Nacogdoches was established after the Spaniards decided that the French were no longer a threat and that maintaining the mission was far too costly. After France ceded claims to lands west of the Mississippi River to Spain in 1763, Spain’s New Regulation of the Presidios required all settlers and priests in Eastern Texas to withdraw to San Antonio. Some were eager to escape the wilderness, but others had to be forced from their homes by soldiers.
Education was a major issue facing the Republic of Texas when it was established in 1836. The citizens of Nacogdoches petitioned the new government for a charter to create Nacogdoches University and it was granted in 1845.
Built in 1858, the Old University Building is the only remaining building of the Nacogdoches University.
Area history has been celebrated and protected throughout the years, resulting in the preservation of many precious homes and landmarks.