Message from Binta Brown, SFA Director of Career Services:
In an effort to assist local businesses who are interested in hiring SFA interns, I have provided a quick and easy internship description form that will hopefully save them time and simplify the process of writing up internship descriptions/postings. Once the job description is created, it will serve as a great guide for the local business to create a job posting on Jobs4Jacks. By creating a job posting on Jobs4Jacks, SFA students and Alumni will have the ability to view local internship opportunities as well as full-time and part-time employment opportunities.
Should they have any questions or need assistance with completing this form or posting positions through their Jobs4Jacks account, we will be happy to assist them.
With Lumberjack Pride,
Binta Brown MA, LPC, NCC, Director, Career Services, Stephen F. Austin State University(936)468-3305
Visit us online!
In order for this experience to be considered an internship, all of the following criteria must be met:
1. The experience must be an extension of the classroom: a learning experience that provides for applying the knowledge gained in the classroom. It must not be simply to advance the operations of the employer or be the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
2. The skills or knowledge learned must be transferable to other employment settings.
4. There are clearly defined learning objectives/goals related to the professional goals of the student’s academic coursework.
5. There is supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of experience.
6. There is routine feedback by the experienced supervisor.
7. There are resources, equipment, and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals.
(Source: National Association of Colleges and Employers (June 2012). NACE Position Statement on U.S. Internships. https://www.naceweb.org/connections/advocacy/internship_position_paper/)
Internship Description FORM
How to create a job description for an internship:
Below you will find a helpful guide in order to generate a job description for your new internship position. You do not need to fill out all of the sections listed below, however you will want to include as much valuable information about this position and your company in order to attract your next intern.
Internship Title: (Example: Graphic Design Intern, Marketing Intern, Communication Intern)
Organization Name: (EFG Inc.)
Location: (City, State)
Work Schedule: (Fulltime, Part-Time; Summer, Spring, Fall)
Describe what your company does. This is very important information and will help the reader gain valuable information about what company they will intern with. You can also list a brief statement about what the intern will do during their time with your company. You can list who will be their direct supervisor as well as whether or not the internship will be paid or unpaid.
If the internship is unpaid, you will really need to sell your company to the potential intern by listing all of the exciting and new tasks that your company is embarking in. Your goal here is to make the student excited about the internship and all of the wonderful information they will gain from your establishment.
· Attend and observe supervisor in weekly meetings with clients to determine the scope of projects
· Learn how to advise clients on strategies to effectively reach a particular audience
· Work with supervisor to determine the message the design should portray
Here you will list what the intern will be expected to do as well as any special projects they will be in charge of completed. Typically, you will want to list between 5-10 responsibilities; it is generally a good idea to remain flexible in order to meet both your needs as well as the intern’s needs.
List what you would like to see in an intern here. Items such as GPA, Degree, and Classification are all things to consider. Remember to use the terms “prefer” rather than “require” as this could limit your options.
· Pursuing a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree
· Prefer a GPA of 3.0 or higher
· Prefer junior or senior level student, however any classification will be considered
How to apply:
Almost the most important piece of information for the future intern to know is how to apply. If you post your internship through Jobs4Jacks, you will have the option to have students apply through this system and an email will be sent to you containing their resume and other required documents.
If you would like for the student to apply through your website or by contacting you directly, please indicate that in this section.