The Chamber Government Affairs committee members, community leaders and SFA groups are prepared for Nacogdoches-SFA Days in Austin presented by Norbord Texas, LP. The event is Feb. 16-17, and you are invited to join the group on this visit to the State Capitol.
Attend briefings with elected officials at the Capitol and the evening Reception, 5:30-7:30 p.m., at the Omni Hotel, 700 San Jacinto and 8th St., co-hosted by Sen. Robert Nichols and Rep. Wayne Christian. Briefing topics and speakers include “State Budget Update” with Sen. Ken Armbrister, legislative director for Gov. Rick Perry, Sen. Nichols and Rep. Christian; “Healthcare Legislative Update” presented by Kandice Sanaie, Texas Association of Business; and “Higher Education Legislative Update” presented by Dominic M. Chavez, Higher Education Coordinating Board.
Nacogdoches Chamber Legislative Agenda
To: Members of the Texas Legislature
From: Government Affairs Committee of Nacogdoches County Chamber of Commerce
The following items are priorities of our community for the 82nd Legislative Session.
- Invest in workforce development and technical training, especially in rural areas
- Support the Stephen F. Austin State University request for 2011 Legislative appropriations,
- Support funding of community colleges.
- Fund and promote Texas Certified Retirement Community program.
- Support funding resources and assistance for rural hospital and indigent health care.
Water rights and resources
- Protect local/regional water resources by upholding junior water rights provisions for existing Texas surface water supplies.
Transportation and infrastructure
- Support continued work on an east-west highway corridor through East Texas, such as improving Hwy 21 and Hwy 103.
- Support upgrade of State Highway 204 to four-lane between Jacksonville and Nacogdoches. This could create a direct extension of U.S. Highway 175 to U.S. Highway 59, improving safety and commerce from Dallas to East Texas.