You are invited to a Texas workforce presentation to be given by Mr. Mick Normington, a business specialist with the Texas Workforce Office pictured above. His topic, "From Secondary Education to Post-Secondary Education to Workforce: Understanding the changing jobs market of Texas and Deep East Texas,” is scheduled for Thursday, October 29, 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM, in the SFA Education Annex, Rm 126.
• His presentation will focus on (1) growth occupations in Texas, (2) growth occupations in the East Texas region, (3) skills more in demand within the workforce, and (4) feedback from Texas employers about the kinds of workers, graduates and skills they most want.
• Mick Normington is a business researcher for the state labor department in Texas. He gathers employment data and he interviews company executives about the kinds of workers they need and why.
Mick earned his:
· Bachelor’s degree in journalism from the University of Missouri
· Master’s of Business Administration degree from the University of Georgia
· Master’s degree in economic development from the University of Southern Mississippi
Mick co-wrote the book Working Texas Style about the fast changing labor economy in Texas after the Great Recession. He later wrote the book An Atmosphere of Enterprise about job creation trends in Texas.
Please contact Dr. Nancy Shepherd (see contact below) for additional information.
Nancy Shepherd, PhD, CFCS
Program Coordinator Family and Consumer Sciences
Director of The Economic Education Center
School of Human Sciences
Stephen F. Austin State University