JUNIOR LEAGUE OF LUFKIN Sprint into Spring 5K and 1 Mile Kids Fun Run
Click here to view photos from the event
What a spectacular event! I could not be more pleased with the results of our first fun run. 173 people registered for the 5K and 29 children registered for the 1 Mile Kids Run! We had 159 runners cross the finish line for the 5K and 25 children complete the 1 Mile Kids Run. We could not have asked for a more beautiful day to have this event. The weather was perfect!
Many thanks to the 29 Fun Run sponsors that helped make this event a success and especially to the following for their contributions:
· Nacogdoches Endurance Training (NET) recorded the chip timing for the run and announced as runners crossed the finish line. NET also provided the event with some fun music for entertainment.
· Smoothie King provided sample smoothies and bars post-race, as well as coupons for smoothies in the runner’s entry bag.
· Cindy Hammond with Body N Sync provided massages before and after the race. Body N Sync also donated a door prize for a Reflexology Massage and $10 off coupons in the runner’s entry bag.
· KSWP provided water, snacks, and a door prize for one round of golf at Crown Colony Country Club.
· Cellular One provided water, bananas, and a door prize for a smart phone.
· GNC donated a door prize for $50.00 in store credit at the Lufkin Mall and a shaker bottle with samples in the runner’s entry bag.
· Lisa Crow Photography took race photos at the event.
· Additional door prizes were gift cards from Orange Leaf and Academy Sports and Outdoor Store.
· Crown Colony Country Club donated brunch for two on Sunday.
· The Junior League of Lufkin donated 800 bottles of water and 24 dozen bagels for the event.
In addition, the Lufkin Middle School Cheerleaders volunteered their time to work at the water stations and along the course, and we had 25 members of the Lufkin High School Swim Team that ran the 5K for charity. Thanks also to the Middle School Volunteer Program, chaired by JLL Member Anita Boyd, for volunteering their time to stuff items in the runner’s entry bag for Packet Pickup!
Scotty Sprinkle and Sara Neal were the first male and female to finish the 5K run. They were awarded with IPod Nanos donated by Best Buy. Medals were awarded to the top 3 finishers in each age division. The first boy and first girl to cross the finish line for the 1 Mile Run received a $50.00 gift card donated by Best Buy. Finisher certificates were handed out to each child as they crossed the finish line for the 1 Mile Run. The top three boys and top three girls were awarded with medals.
I cannot thank enough the JLL Board of Directors and the JLL Members that volunteered their time to help with this event! I appreciate your time more than you know! We had such an awesome turnout for the first year. My hope is that it continues to grow each and every year. JLL Member Renée Robertson will be chairing this event next year, and I know she will do an outstanding job and will make the Fun Run even better!
ABOUT THE JUNIOR LEAGUE OF LUFKIN
Since its beginning in 1953, the Junior League of Lufkin has supported many local projects and has made a positive impact on countless lives in Lufkin. The vision of our organization’s members is to enhance the lives of children and women in our community. To date, the JLL has donated close to $2 million dollars to Angelina County. The Junior League of Lufkin is an organization of women committed to promoting volunteerism and to improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable. For more information, visit the website, www.juniorleagueoflufkin.org